header

Monday, November 10, 2008

Couple of characters, those guys

A couple of cartoonist friends were visiting a couple of weeks ago, and I realized that I should snag their visages in order to design my comic-relief duo in the foreign legion book. Here are some sketches...


 ...and one actual drawing. Whether the design will tweak more before I actually hit pages, I can't say.

 The plot of the new book has been completely written out, and is fairly tight. I'll be revising it heavily over the next couple of weeks, in order to get it to where I can jump to pages as soon as the Winter Break begins. I still have to nail down a few character deigns, but I've got a good feeling overall. I also drew this fish-man. I read a few (my first) H.P. Lovecraft stories to get revved up for Thanksgiving, and I loved them, especially Call of Cthulhu and Shadow Over Insmouth, the latter of which prominently features some horrifying toadish fishmen. I've been sketching 'em like crazy ever since! 

3 comments:

Cascade/Jordan said...

As these guys the Rosencranz and Guildenstern of the story?

Regardless, they look awesome. Do you usually use friends at reference? Because everyone in Crogans Vengance looks different, which is a big strength.

Chris Schweizer said...

While none of the prominent characters in Vengeance (i.e. anyone with more than five lines or so) are based on anyone, quite a few of the background characters are based on old friends, initially in order to give them a sort of visual shout-out, but later to have a consistency... you should see the same background crew throughout the book.

I should stress that even when I base characters physically on real people, their personalities fit the needs of the story, and are NOT a reflection of their real-life counterparts.

Gwen said...

That is the cutest Deep One I've ever seen.