header

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Gone for a little while

I'll be away at a funeral this weekend and will probably be unable to answer e-mails and the like for a few days. One of my best friends, Eric Myers, was found dead on Monday of what appears to be a heart-related condition. As far as I know, he never had any health problems, aside from horrible, horrible snoring (which was rectified), so this comes as a complete shock to everybody.

He was, without question, the best guy I ever knew. He constantly gave of his time and energy to whoever needed it, volunteering a lot and never mentioning it or making a big deal of it; he always put his friends and family (and strangers) before himself; he was one of the few people I know who have strong moral convictions AND live up to all of them; and he was perhaps the most fun and vibrant person I've ever known - he made any room into which he walked into a party, he constantly set stuff up for people to do, and he was a unifyer... you could put him in a room full of black panthers and skinheads and they'd all be singing tavern songs within twenty minutes. It hasn't really sunk in yet... I can't imagine visiting Hopkinsville and not seeing Eric. Christmas, the movies, sparring, hanging out - I simply can't see any of these things without expecting to have Eric there.

Please keep your thoughts and prayers with his family, especially his fiance'. Eric was a notorious commitophobe, and Kristen (with whom we've been friends ten years) lit up his life - they were going to be married in a couple of months. I can't even imagine what she's going through, so please keep her comfort in thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, this made me cry my eyes out. it still hasn't sunk in. why do such horrible things happen to such amazing people? eric was the MOST stand up guy i have EVER met. i just can't even imagine not having him around. from his hula days, to singing "jesus" songs in the middle of the living room floor...my heart is literally aching...

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
I'm a Harding alum I am so sorry about Eric. He must have been a special guy.

On a different note - your artwork is really great. Please consider coming to OmegaCon in Birmingham next year - it's this weekend, and it's first year. Should be a great place to get some exposure for your work.

www.omegacon.us

Just thought you might want to know about it...

Heather Batey
HU '95